Tuesday 29 January 2013

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard

"If you ever want to hide from the world, live in a small city, where everyone seems anonymous."

That''s the advice of twelve-year-old Ariella Montero, who lives with her father in Saratoga Springs, New York, in a house haunted more by secrets than by memories. The Society of S traces her journey south, to Asheville and Savannah, and on to Florida, as she learns that everything she knows about her family is a lie.
When she finds her mother, she learns the truth: Ariella is a fledgling member of the Society of S.
S stands for Sanguinists: a sect of environmentalists concerned with ethics and human rights -- although they happen to be vampires. S also stands for synesthete: a person able to see words and letters in colors. The letter S is lucky for Sara, Ariella''s mother, who gravitates to cities such as Savannah and Sarasota. But will it be lucky for Ariella?" (chapters.ca)




Review:

When I started reading this book, I got sucked in almost immediately. I did not know much of anything about it before I started reading it, except that it was about vampires, and I’m glad I went in with little knowledge. I feel it was a smartly written book. It is serious, yet fun, and the reader learns things as the main character does. I like being in the dark along with the main character, that to me is a lot of fun and you are never sure what to expect next! Ari is a fantastic character to follow. I feel there is a depth to her that is apparent to the reader, but she is still growing up and is only 12 years old. This is a coming of age story that is fantastically written. She goes on a very important journey that will help shape who she is as a person, the path her life will take, and the things she is interested in. This is a story of a girl who discovers her life has not been what she thought and a story about vampire ethics (believe it or not lol.) I think it is a really great book and one that I see myself re-reading in the future. Give it a shot and hopefully you will love it as much as I do. If you enjoy it, you can read the other books in the Ethical Vampire series, The Year of Disappearances and The Season of Risks. If you know someone who is interested in vampires, coming of age stories, or literary novels, tell them to give it a shot! Let me know what you think of it if you do!!!!

Happy Reading!

Next Review: Scrapbook of Secrets by Mollie Cox Bryan


No comments:

Post a Comment