Thursday 10 January 2013

It's the little things...


I find these personal blog posts the most challenging to write. I procrastinate thinking about it, writing it, and find myself scrambling at the last minute to come up with something. I do not usually have anything exciting to write about because my life is average and I’ve been a bit of a homebody for the last little while. Working, not working, having some extra money, having no extra money. This has been a pattern in my life for the last year or so. It is challenging to do the things you want to do when the funds are not there. I am sure I could go on about this, but I won’t, so instead, I will write about a place that has been on my mind for the past 3 months since I first went there: Salsateria.


Salsateria is a Mexican restaurant in Guelph that my cousin told me about. They have absolutely INCREDIBLE food and I am dying to go back. Seriously, I want to take all of you just so I can go again and again and again!!!! I took my friend Jen there for her birthday (albeit a month late) and we had an amazing dinner. I had a pepper quesadilla and she had a taco salad. Both were to die for! I talk about this place every chance I get and I’m sure that seems funny to a lot of people, but Salsateria is so much more than just a restaurant to me.

Yes, Salsateria has amazing food. And I love the massive booths you can sit in. But Salsateria represents so much more to me. It reminds me of a fantastic day with a friend of mine, out celebrating her birthday. It was me taking her somewhere I had heard great things about and I wanted to share that with her. It represents the kind of food I hope to be able to cook someday (I think cooking lessons may be in my future.) It has become a favourite of mine (yes, after only one visit) and it is a place I can’t wait to go back to! When I think about Salsateria, I smile and all kinds of different thoughts float through my head.

I guess the point is that anything can have an impact. This restaurant has impacted me in unexpected ways, some of which I am keeping to myself. It reminded me that cooking is not always a chore (I am the person who stands in front of a full fridge saying there is nothing to eat) and there can be great pleasure in eating and in creating a fantastic meal, whether it is for yourself or for those you care about. It also reminded me that sometimes it is the simple pleasures in life that we take for granted. We live in a society where bigger and newer are better and we tend to forget about all those small things. It is those small things that make up our lives! That show who we are, what we’re about, what we enjoy. My life is not what I expected it to be and I have not accomplished half of the things I would like to. I would, however, take great pleasure in revisiting this little Mexican restaurant and sharing it with someone I care about. And you know what? Right now, that’s good enough for me.

What’s your Salsateria?

No comments:

Post a Comment