Friday 4 January 2013

Christmas at Tiffany's by Karen Swan

***For some reason, my blog is back to not allowing me to upload pictures (even though the one I posted today worked just fine.) I apologize and hopefully will get this fixed in the near future!!!***


Three cities, three seasons, one chance to find the life that fits. Cassie settled down too young, marrying her first serious boyfriend. Now, ten years later, she is betrayed and broken. With her marriage in tatters and no career or home of her own, she needs to work out where she belongs in the world and who she really is. So begins a year-long trial as Cassie leaves her sheltered life in rural Scotland to stay with each of her best friends in the most glamorous cities in the world: New York, Paris and London. Exchanging grouse moor and mousy hair for low-carb diets and high-end highlights, Cassie tries on each city for size as she attempts to track down the life she was supposed to have been leading, and with it, the man who was supposed to love her all along.


Review:
I was very excited to read this book! I saw it, it caught my eye, and I was sucked in from the first little bit. Despite the title, it's not actually a Christmas book. I love the idea of spending time with your friends living not only in 3 different cities, but 3 different countries! I really liked the main character, Cassie, although at times I felt like she was a little bit mindless. I realized, though, that was the point. Instead of really getting into the process, she just gave herself over to her friends and each of them molded her to their liking. I find her to be a likeable character and commended her for some of the hard decisions she had to make in the book.
I love that the story was set in 4 different countries & cities. I've only been to New York City, but this book certainly increased my desire to visit Scotland, England, and France! I enjoyed the conflict, friendship, and hardship in this story. Aside from the fact that I would not be able to afford to do the things that Cassie does (living in 3 different places with her friends), I felt this story was pretty true to life. Maybe it's just me, a sap for a good story, but I really did. There was heartache, conflict between friends, relationships that seem skewed, and betrayal. These are all a part of life and unfortunately things we have to deal with.

Overall, I loved this book. It is definitely one I can see myself reading over and over again. And even though it is not a Christmas book, I will most likely read it at Christmas time :). I give this book a 4/5.

Happy Reading!

Next Review: Last Christmas by Julia Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment