Thursday 3 January 2013

2012: What I Read

A few years ago, I got into the habit of writing down what I read. It started in a book journal (which I loved, but found was silly because there were all kinds of sections in it that I did not use), then I moved on to a coil notebook, and finally, a list on my computer. Obviously using my computer is the most environmentally friendly option and does not take up a lot of space :). Also, an idea from a friend, I started making a "goal" for myself of how many books I want to read per year.


For 2012, I set a goal of 220 books to read (I know, this sounds crazy, right? Well, in 2011 I read 192 books, so I figured 220 would be easy.) Not only did I set a goal of how many books to read in a year, but I have also been working on reading the books that I own that have yet to be read. So, of the 220, I wanted 160 of those to be ones that I owned that had not been read yet (wondering how many unread books I own????)


Flash forward to 2013. I have looked over my list of books that I read in 2012 and, well, I did not reach my goals. Normally I would be a little disappointed by this, but I have realized how unrealistic these goals were. I am happy with the reading I DID do in 2012, although I would still like to focus a little more on my own books that I have not read (I get distracted by new stuff haha.) My final tally for 2012 was 149 books read, 92 of those being my own unread books. I did 10 re-reads this year (I'm a big fan of re-reading books you love - check out http://tammy-for-the-love-of-reading.blogspot.ca/2012/08/summer-sisters-by-judy-blume.html to see how I feel about re-reading) and I also did not complete 6 books because I was REALLY not enjoying them (a new rule of mine: if I dread picking it up, I'm not going to read it. There are too many books and too little time to spend on ones that I am not enjoying.)

I compiled a list of the books I read in 2012 and organized them by genre. It was really interesting to see where my focus was for 2012 (especially since I am no longer working at Chapters! haha.)

Genre
Title
Teen Fiction
Bright Young Things - Anna Godberson

Eternal – Gillian Shields

Eve – Ana Carey

Spells – Aprilynne Pike

Uncommon Criminals – Ally Carter

Illusions – Aprilynne Pike

Beautiful Days – Anna Godberson

A Northern Light – Jennifer Donnelly

The Scorpio Races – Maggie Stiefvater

The Gathering Storm – Robin Bridges

Matched – Ally Condie

The Pledge – Kimberly Derting

Passion – Lauren Kate

Captivate – Carrie Jones

The Immortal Realm – Frewin Jones

Darkness Falls – Cate Tiernan

Sweetly – Jackson Pearce

The Enchanted Quest – Frewin Jones

The Charmed Return – Frewin Jones

Balthazar – Claudia Gray

Entice – Carrie Jones

Waiting for You – Susan Colasanti

The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins

The Darkest Powers Trilogy Omnibus – Kelley Armstrong

Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins

Legend – Mary Lu

A Temptation of Angels – Michelle Zink

Destined – Aprilynne Pike

Sweep Vol II – Cate Tiernan

Sweep Vol III – Cate Tiernan

Sweep Vol IV – Cate Tiernan

Sweep Vol V – Cate Tiernan

Balefire Omnibus – Cate Tiernan

Switched – Amanda Hocking

Torn – Amanda Hocking

Ascend – Amanda Hocking

Rebel Heart – Moira Young

The Kill Order – James Dashner

The Face on the Milk Carton – Caroline B. Cooney

Once – Ana Carey

Crossed – Ally Condie

Diva – Jillian Larkin

The Bridge – Jane Higgins

Beta – Rachel Cohn
Science Fiction
Fool Moon – Jim Butcher

Grave Peril – Jim Butcher
General Fiction
Tell It to the Trees - Anita Rau Badami

Web of Angels – Lilian Nattel

There’s Cake in My Future - Kim Gruenenfelder

Submarine – Joe Dunthore

Barefoot – Elin Hilderbrand

The Violets of March – Sarah Jio

Lucky’s Lady – Tami Hoag

The Bungalow – Sarah Jio

Nantucket Nights – Elin Hilderbrand

The Secret Papers of Madame Olivetti - Annie Vanderbilt

The Reinvention of Love – Helen Humphreys

The Far Side of the Sky – Daniel Kalla

The Little Giant of Aberdeen County – Tiffany Baker

The Girls – Lori Lansens

The Island – Elin Hilderbrand

Summer Affair – Elin Hilderbrand

Summer Sisters – Judy Blume

The Friday Night Knitting Club – Kate Jacobs

The Last Summer (of You and Me) – Ann Brashares

Sisterhood Everlasting – Ann Brashares

Where We Belong – Emily Giffen

The Emperor of Paris – C.S. Richardson

Blackberry Winter – Sarah Jio

The Red House – Mark Haddon

Christmas at Tiffany`s – Karen Swan

Last Christmas – Julia Williams

Love Anthony – Lisa Genova

The Society of S – Susan Hubbard

The Year of Disappearances – Susan Hubbard
9-12 Fiction
The Battle For Skandia (RA) – John Flannagan

The Sorcerer of the North (RA) – John Flannagan

The Siege of Mackindaw (RA) – John Flannagan

Erak’s Ransom (RA) – John Flannagan

The Kings of Clonmel (RA) – John Flannagan

Swordbird – Nancy Yi Fan

Halt’s Peril (RA) – John Flannagan

The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (RA) – John Flannagan

Black Heart (Vampirates) – Justin Somper

The Immortal Fire – Anne Ursu

The Lost Stories (RA) – John Flannagan

The Door in the Forest - Roderick Townley

Empire of the Night (Vampirates) – Justin Somper

Immortal War (Vampirates) – Justin Somper

Trundle’s Quest – Alan Frewin Jones

Flyte – Angie Sage

The E.L. Konigsburg Collection – E.L. Konigsburg

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey – Trenton Lee Stewart

Thirteenth Child – Patricia C. Wrede

The Amulet of Samarkand – Jonathan Stroud

First Hero – Adam Blade

The Fathomless Fire – Thomas Wharton

Ingo – Helen Dunmore

The Tide Knot – Helen Dunmore

The Monster – Garth Nix

The Name of This Book is Secret – Pseudonymous Bosch
Mystery
Fearless Fourteen – Janet Evanovich

The Murder Stone – Louise Penny

No Rest For the Wiccan – Madelyn Alt

Finger Lickin’ Dead – Riley Adams

Where There’s a Witch – Madelyn Alt

Night of the Living Deed – E.J. Cooperman

Finger Lickin’ Fifteen – Janet Evanovich

The Angel of the Opera – Sam Siciliano

French Pressed – Cleo Coyle

An Uninvited Ghost – E.J. Cooperman

Clobbered by Camembert – Avery Aames

A Killer Plot – Ellery Adams

Espresso Shot – Cleo Coyle

Town in a Blueberry Jam – B.B. Haywood

The Lies that Bind – Kate Carlisle

A Deadly Cliche – Ellery Adams

The Last Word – Ellery Adams

A Sheetcake Named Desire – Jacklyn Brady

Dyer Consequences – Maggie Sefton

What’s a Ghoul to do? – Victoria Laurie

Curiosity Thrilled the Cat – Sofie Kelly

Indulgence in Death – J.D. Robb

Treachery in Death – J.D. Robb

Sizzling Sixteen – Janet Evanovich

A Witch in Time – Madelyn Alt

Demons are a Ghouls Best Friend – Victoria Laurie

Ghouls Just Haunt to Have Fun – Victoria Laurie

Driven to Ink – Karen E. Olsen

Smokin’ Seventeen – Janet Evanovich

Holiday Grind – Cleo Coyle

Buzz Off – Hannah Reed

Mind Your Own Beeswax – Hannah Reed

Written in Stone – Ellery Adams

Home for a Spell – Madelyn Alt
Non-Fiction
The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt – William Nothdurft

Heaven is For Real – Todd Burpo

The Rescue of Belle and Sundance – Birgit Stutz

Mistaken Identity – Don & Susie Van Ryn

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks – Rebecca Skloot
Classics
Journey to the Centre of the Earth – Jules Verne

Anne of Avonlea – Lucy Maud Montgomery
Fantasy
Soulless – Gail Carriger

Changeless – Gail Carriger

Arrows Flight – Mercedes Lackey

Arrows Fall – Mercedes Lackey
Romance
Bloodfever – Karen Marie Moning
6-8 Fiction
Rosetta’s Dress Mess - Disney


Here's the thing about reading: people read because they love it. If it's not something you're passionate about and do not enjoy doing, why do it? I love reading. I love learning something new (The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks), checking out something old (Journey to the Centre of the Earth), re-visiting a favourite (The Friday Night Knitting Club) or randomly picking something new (Beta.) There are many different reasons I choose to read and the books I choose depend on the mood I'm in at the time. I hope, like me, you have a passion in your heart for reading and that you will continue to read. I don't think it matters if it's a magazine, graphic novel, or a best-selling novel, reading is reading. Spend time doing something you love.

Happy Reading!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment