Tuesday 18 September 2012

Rebel Heart by Moira Young






Receiving an advanced reader copy of this book was a bit of a shock to me. I quit the book mill almost a year ago and thought that I lost my chance at getting the REALLY good books! Well, turns out I got it and my friends who were still working there didn't! Crazy? Yes. Amazing? HELL yes!

As most of you know, I was lucky enough to read a manuscript copy of Blood Red Road, book 1 in the Dustlands trilogy. It was SO amazing and I am so grateful that I was chosen as part of a group of Indigo/Chapters employees to pre-screen it. I loved it for many reasons, including the fact that the author is Canadian! Random House put out a special ARC of Blood Red Road for Indigo/Chapters employees and my review ended up on the back!



I had not performed any research on Rebel Heart before I received the book, nor have I done any since. I like to be surprised and have no idea what to expect with a book. And after the way Blood Red Road ended, I really had no idea what Young was going to do with the next two! This book was so full of surprises, and there were twists and turns thrown in to knock the reader off balance!

Rebel Heart begins with Jack and Saba separated and trying to find their way back to each other. At the beginning you get a bit of the story from Jack's point of view and then are left to wonder where he is and what he's doing. And Saba. Well, let's just say she's a bit of a different person from BRR.

The usual cast is back, along with a whole slew of newcomers! And, of course, this series would not be what it is without Nero! Man, I would love to have a pet crow like Nero! He's a feisty little creature! I love him! Haha.

Young has such a brilliant mind and she never fails to surprise me. I get sucked right into her reading, as she describes everything in such a way that you feel like you are right there with Saba (I just realized I said that exact thing in my BRR review lol.) There were times in this book when I really did not know what to think. I didn't know if the author was messing with my head, telling it all like it was, and I no longer knew up from down. I was literally on the edge of my seat, gasping because I was in shock by some of the decisions she made in this second installment.

Rebel Heart made me SUPER anxious for the third and final book in the trilogy. I know some of the loose ends she needs to tie up, but I wonder what else Young will throw our way. Keep up the AMAZING work, Moira! I can't WAIT to see what you come up with in the future!!!!

Happy Reading everyone!









No comments:

Post a Comment